Followers

Thursday, October 22, 2015

Dinner Table

Every single person from the tribe sat at the dinner table. Men, women, and yes, children. The table was a long rectangle that stretched a few hundred feet. The dinner table rests outside. I'm guessing no room was big enough to house it, or at least no body wanted to build one. The table is made of stone with bits of green and red marble ground into it. It is a beautiful piece of furniture , but this whole society is one big juxtaposition to me. They have a modern kitchen, yet they dress in rags and choose to live in caves. I don't get it. Perhaps I am not supposed to. Then again, I am their God. These are things I should know. After all it is their job to be clueless. Mine is to be all knowing. That's exhausting. I blow on my soup. It's still scorching hot. Everyone else, except for Olivia is sipping it down. The jester, who is sitting to my right, notices I have not eaten much. "Aren't thou hungry?" He asks. "I am, it's just too hot right now. " I respond foolishly. The tribesmen halt eating and stare at me. "Too hot?" Ruth questions from halfway down the table. I deliberately sat her away from me. I wasn't afraid what she might do to me, but I did't want her casting shade at me. "Did I hear you say it was too hot?" She continues. "That's right. It is." I say. "What kind of God says it's too hot?" She asks. Olivia stands. "One who values a good meal. You expect us to enjoy this corn, vegetable soup at exceeding temperatures?" "I do." Ruth says with a stone face. "Don't you know that when food is too hot you lose valuable flavors?" Olivia adds. "Is that true?" Someone asks. "It sounds right." The cook replies. Another person shouts. "Then if this is true, we have all been fools." The jester stands. "There is only room for one fool here." A mother shakes her fist. "He's right. We can't do this the wrong way any more. We can not lose the flavor. We must wait to eat." They all simultaneously push their soup bowls aside and fold their hands. Ruth doesn't eat, but she cups her hands around her bowl and glares at us. "I can wait."

No comments:

Post a Comment