Followers

Friday, October 30, 2015

Haggard Boss

"What happened here?" Olivia shouts in a stupefied horror. Todd sits up. He cracks his back before addressing us. "There was a party." "I can see that. Where is everybody?" She asks. "They left." "But how? Nobody can fly, and we took the last falcon." I say. Todd shrugs. "They found a way. They all did." "Where did they go?" I ask. "I don't know. Away from here." I let out a sigh. "Where is the Wellness Center?" Todd looks at me, confused. "It sank, remember?" Olivia crouches down and stares Todd in the eye. "You were going to rebuild it, remember?" "Yeah I was going to..." Todd blanks before he can finish his thought. I sit down next to him. "What happened? Why didn't you finish?" "Because I didn't start." "Why didn't you start?" I ask. Todd smiles. "You remember the paper you gave me with the number for the carpenters?" "Yeah?" "Well, I tried to call it but I guess you gave me the wrong number, or I read it wrong. At any rate I just got a fax machine when I tried dialing it." "Why didn't you try dialing a different number?" Olivia questions. Todd rolls his eyes. "I thought of that, but then I realized I don't have to search for these carpenters right away. I mean my people have been through a lot. So, I decided to just kick back." "And party?" I jump in. "Yeah, party. It was fun at first, but then after a few days I guess some people got sick of it. One by one they all left. The minotaur, surprisingly enough was the first to go. He left for one of the Grecian islands. I don't know where everybody else went. You two aren't going to leave me are you?" "I'm afraid so." I respond. I stand up. I'm about to exit and Olivia stops me. "Are you sure that's a good idea?" She asks me. "We can't stay here." "I know that, but we can't leave him by himself." "What should we do with him?" "I don't know, but we can't leave him him here." She repeats. I look down and take a deep breath. "Ok, let's find some rope." "What for?" "We're gonna tie him to the falcon. I don't trust him to stay on by himself in his current state."

No comments:

Post a Comment