Followers

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Kitchen Drinks

The jester leads me to the kitchen with a wide eye'd promise of alcohol. I don't need it, but it would make things easier and more fun. I'm aware that that sentence sounded bad, but it happened. I merely report what happens. Anyways we're in the kitchen. It is a big restaurant kitchen. The kind that was in the scene from Jurassic Park with the Raptors. There is no one around. Just me and the jester. He is haphazardly going through the cabinets and drawers. He throws cans and boxes in a mad effort to find booze. It creates a huge mess on the floor. I know he won't put anything back, yet somehow I don't care. Eventually he finds a bottle of cooking wine. He lifts the bottle in a dramatic pose. "A bottle of spirits to lift thine spirits?" "Don't mind if I do." I reply. The jester jumps off the counter. He rummages through the cabinets again till he finds two champaign glasses. He pours one for me and one for him. "Shall we make a toast?" He asks. "Sure, cheers." The jester shakes his head. "No, to merryment. To very merryment." We clink our glasses. I take a swig.It is the most foul taste. I nearly spit it out. "That's horrible." I shout. "You do not like?" "No, it's awful." The jester shrugs. "You don't mind?" I ask. "Not at all." He gulps down the rest of his wine. "No, he won't mind. He's a fool." I turn around to see Ruth standing at the doorway to the kitchen. "That's the royal fool." He corrects her. Ruth ignores the jester. "It's lonely on top, isn't it?" I glance at the Jester. He is making faces and playing with his glass. "More like it's weird at the top." She walks over to where I am standing and picks up my wine glass. "Hard day?" "Boring day." The jester interrupts our banter. "What brings you here in the presence of my master?" "Yeah, why are you here? Are you gonna tell on me?" I ask. "Who would I run to? You're the one in charge." "Then why are you here?" I question. "Just to say that I know." "You know?" I repeat. "I know even if no one else can see it. I know. I never wanted to bow to you. In fact it makes me sick thinking about it." Ruth starts to exit the kitchen. She turns and gives a sinister smile. "Everyone falls eventually."


No comments:

Post a Comment