Followers

Friday, October 23, 2015

Sleeping Quarters

After dinner it was time for rest for all. While the tribe went to their respected sleeping quarters, the jester showed us where we'd be staying. Lackluster does not begin to describe it. It was basically just a cave with two small, green cots. "So, this is it?" Olivia asks, trying to hide her disappointment. "Oh yes, nothing but the best." He replies. "The best?" I repeat. "It's not up to your standards?" "It's just so... quaint." I remark. "That's the idea. You are to lead a humble existence now." "Lucky us." I say under my breath. "I will get some blankets. It can get chilly over night.Is there anything else the two of you would like?" "A T.V.?" Olivia asks. The jester shakes his head. "No, no. A humble lifestyle is what you must lead. We must keep things on the down low." "The down low?" I question. The jester nervously smiles. "Yes, we mustn't raise suspicion." "Suspicion about what?" Olivia asks. The jester backs up against the wall. "People may know things. People may not be deceived so easily." "What are you saying?" I ask. "I'm saying a lot and nothing at all." "Are you implying something." Olivia grills. "I may be implying something, but implications are nothing to be worried about." I stare are him for a moment. "Are you saying we can trust you?" "There is not reason you shouldn't." "Unless we have reason to believe you may tell the village that you think we're not the chosen ones." Olivia says threateningly. The jester pushes her away. He runs to the cave exit. "I know you're not who you say you are, but I don't care. You can trust me." "Are you sure about that?" I shout. "You have my word. I will bring blankets, and tomorrow I will teach you how to blend it. "

No comments:

Post a Comment