Followers

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Breakfast of Champs

Breakfast, like dinner is eaten together, and just like dinner we were served something that is less than filling. This morning we were lucky enough to experience the wonders of porridge. I don't like porridge one bit. It makes me feel like a prisoner eating gruel, but we don't want to rouse any suspicion, so we eat. I don't look up the whole time I'm eating. Somehow I thought that would help me eat quicker. Of course Ruth notices this. "What's the matter? Don't feel like showing your face today?" She says. "No he doesn't, and I know why." The jester interrupts. Ruth stops eating and turns to the jester. "Why's that?" "Because he's a phoney. They both are, except he feels the guilt more. It's eating him alive. He can't stand to look at us for that reason." Ruth stares at the Jester for a moment. "What?" He shouts. " I knew that, you nit wit.You were there when I told him I knew." The jester shrinks down in his seat. The cook leans over to Olivia. "What is the meaning of this?" "I have no idea what she's talking about." Olivia replies. Ruth gets up and walks over to Olivia. "Don't be coy, my dear." "I really don't know what you are talking about." Olivia says, nervously. "You don't have to play dumb anymore." Ruth says. The jester bangs his fist on the table. All eyes are on him now. "My lord and lady do not play dumb. They do not know how to. Surely, you musn't believe the lies." Ruth leans over the table and looks at the Jester. "What lies would you be referring to?" "That they are anything less than the chosen ones." "But wasn't it you who said they were phoney?" She questions. The jester gulps. "Listen not to me. I know not what I say." "Finally some good advice." She replies. Ruth walks back to Olivia. Before she can say or do anything Peter bangs his bowl loudly on the table. Ruth turns her attention to Peter. "So, the judge decides to speak. What is the verdict?" "I don't believe they are who they claim to be." "And what shall we do with these false gods?" "They are to be exiled." Ruth's eyes light up. "But after this meal. They get one last meal, and then they must be lead out."

No comments:

Post a Comment