Followers

Sunday, October 11, 2015

Suspended Animation

As we leapt into the scorching volcano we closed our eyes tightly. It wasn't for fear of what's ahead ,but rather a reaction, a habit. If you have closed your eyes while staring at a bright light, then you know what I am talking about. You can almost see the orange and red that appear on the inside of your eyelids. Imagine that ten times brighter. It's a wonder my retinas didn't melt. We free feel for some time. Obviously I had never jumped into an active volcano before, but I had a feeling the fall would only take a few seconds. I cautiously opened my eyes. I saw Olivia and myself in a Superman dive, suspended in the air. There was an opaque, white, cloud - like material that was cushioning our bodies.Above and below the white material was a pink, translucent substance. My guess was that we were in Olivia's bubble, but upon further examination it was a bit different that usual. It wasn't at all in the shape of a circle. It looked almost like a pink blanket with wild hooks that dug into the walls of the volcano. "Olivia, open your eyes." I say with the utmost fascination. "Are we dead?" she asks. "Not quite. Open your eyes." She does so and is amazed by the sight."Did I do this?" "I don't know. Maybe when all hearts were shot at us it allowed you further range of your abilities." "If I did do this I don't know how much longer I can hold it now that I am aware. We have to get out of here." "I'll find a way." I reply.
I don't know if I've ever explained this properly. The pink bubble is basically a shield. Unless it is severely weakened nothing can get in. While I am fully protected in the bubble, and nothing can harm me inside, I always have the option to leave. I make my exit. It always feels a little strange ,like there is something pushing back against me, but I persist. Luckily the pink force field is still strong on the outside and I am able to stand on it. I use it as a bridge. I walk to the closest wall. I desperately search for a groove that I can place my hands and feet into. That's when I notice the pink force field flickering. "Try to place all of your concentration on this hook." I say to Olivia, pointing to the hook by my right foot. She does so and the hook turns a bright pink. I grab the hook. It's much heavier than I had anticipated. I attempt to throw the hook over the edge, but it falls short a few feet. I am dismayed, but it will give us a start. Olivia is still inside the pink force field. Most of it is flat against the wall of the volcano now. I found a small grove and am hanging on for dear life. Olivia tries to scale the wall while still inside the pink force field, but it flickers again. I inch as close as I can and reach inside the bubble. "Grab my hand." I shout. She does so. I swing her out of the bubble and place her next to me. As soon as she is out of the bubble, it disappears completely. Our hands are like claws, grabbing at the stone wall. I look up, it is still a distance, but I feel the worst is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment