Followers

Saturday, October 17, 2015

The Crops

The royal cook lead Olivia to a lush meadow. It was a rolling hill filled with saturated greens and crops as far as the eye could see. The closest crop was the corn field. The corn stalks were about eight feet tall. The royal cook smiled proudly. "I suppose you know what this is?" "Yes, it's corn." She replies, happily. The cook nods. "It is the most popular , and most useful crop. It is closest to our tribe for that reason." "What else do you have?" Olivia asks. "Everything, you name it." "What about an apple orchard?" "We have several." "Do you have blueberries?" "Yes." "Strawberries?" "Yes." "Apricots?" "Yes." Olivia thinks for a moment. "What about coconuts? I bet you don't have those." "Though it is not as popular, we do have a few coconut trees. Do you care to see them?" "Not right now. I'll take your word for it though." "Very well." Olivia looks on in amazement and whistles. "So, do you pick everything yourself too?" She asks. "My staff helps me, but I do most the work." "Wow, still that must take a while especially if you do this daily." Olivia says. "It can be, but I tend to cater to the one in charge of our society. For a while that was Ruth. You've met her ,right?" "Yeah, I've had a few encounters with her. So, you catered to her taste? What did she like?" The cook smiles. "Very simple taste.She loved corn ." He extents his arm, displaying the vast cornfield. "Is that the real reason why you planted it the closest?" Olivia questions. "Partially, but I am serious when I say it is very useful." He says, defensively. "Oh,I know." "I also have the turnips planted far off in the distance. She didn't care for them, but I could move them closer if you'd like." "No, they are fine where they are." Olivia insists. "As you wish. Is there a meal request you'd like to make?" "Well, this is October. Maybe a nice pumpkin pie?" The cook's face grows pale. "What?" Olivia asks. "Pumpkins are the only things we don't have." "How is that possible?" "Ruth detested pumpkins. She did not like them one bit. I could plant some pumpkins for you. They won't be ready for dinner, but I could do that." "That's fine." Olivia says. He smiles once more. "Let me show you more."

No comments:

Post a Comment