Followers

Thursday, October 15, 2015

Perks

Everyone in the cave disperses. Everyone except for Peter and two lower ranking tribesmen. The tribesmen stand on either side of him. To Peter's left is a man with a Jester's hat. He slouches and has a nervous grimace. To his right is a man with a very different posture. He stands straight. He looks poised and confident. "I know you wanted some peace and quiet. I can't say I blame you, your majesties, but allow me to introduce you to your new friends." Peter says, with his arms wrapped around the tribesmen. "Our friends?" Olivia repeats. "Oh yes, they're quite handy, and you'll want their services." I lean back in my chair. "Alright. What can you do for us?" Peter eyes the man with the Jester's hat. He bows and address us. "Your majesty. I will be the royal joke teller." "The royal joke teller?" I repeat. "Yes, my jokes are the finest in all the land." "Really?" I question. "Yes, really. People come from far and wide to hear my jokes. Would you like to hear one?" I shake my head no. "It won't be necessary. But why would I need your services?" "To put you at ease after a hard day." He replies. I think for a moment. "Yes, ruling is hard. So, are you saying that with you I wouldn't need to be witty?" He nods yes. "Yes, your majesty." I take a deep breath. "Ok, he can stay." "What about the other one? What does he do?" Olivia asks. He walks forward and takes a bow. "I, your majesty, am the cook. I prepare the meals everyday." "YOU, prepare the meals everyday?" She questions. "Yes, your majesty. Everything. I even grow the fruits and vegetables. Would you care to see the garden?" "I am curious." She says. Olivia looks to me. "You want to come?" "No, I'm feeling lazy. I think I'll hear a joke or two if that is alright." "Not at all. We shall reconvene later."

No comments:

Post a Comment