Followers

Saturday, December 5, 2015

Deal or No Deal

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek. My eardrums are pierced by a loud, metallic, scratching. I can only compare it to hangers being moved across a metal bar at a department store. "It's safe to look now." Ruth announces. I remove my hands from my face, and lift my head up. There is a gigantic, purple drape stretched across a window. It still emits a bright, amber glow, but I no longer feel as if my retinas will burn. Ruth sits behind a massive wooden desk. Its roughly the size of three regular ones placed side by side. She looks to the guard. "You may leave now." "As you wish." He replies. The guard then exits. Ruth folds her hands. "You two got pretty far. I'm impressed." "Twas nothing." Mamba says, coyly. "Is this where you ask us to join the dark side?" I ask. Ruth chuckles to herself. "In a manner of speaking. I want to make a deal." "What kind of deal?" "I could really use your talents." She says. "No." I snap. "Why not? I've been watching you for a very long time. I think your ready." "I'm sure I am, but don't trust you." I reply. Ruth leans back. "Is it because I have you in chains?" She asks. "That would have a lot to do with it." "The chains are for me. You say I am not trustworthy, but you are the one who should not be trusted." "What are you talking about?" I question. "You break my rules. My very simple rules I lay out for you. That's why I can not trust you. Either of you." I smirk. "And yet you want me to work for you." "That's because I know talent when I see it. You may be a pain in the neck, but you still have talent." "Thank you, but I'm not working for you." I respond. Ruth takes a deep breath. "Tell me, what do you stand for?" "I don't know. I'm a seeker of the unknown, a cosmic slacker, and a psychic anarchist." Ruth's eyes light up. "And you can be all that and more with me." "I really don't know about this." I sigh. "What's the problem? The war is over." "Really?" I ask. "Really, all you have to do is sign a paper." Ruth stands. "I'll type something up."

No comments:

Post a Comment