Followers

Thursday, December 17, 2015

Pondering

I was reunited with Olivia, we had all the falcons on our side, and Peter was back to his old self. We could go anywhere we wanted and start a new life. It should have been a joyous occasion, but melancholy crept into my mind yet again. I kept thinking about the prisoner. I wondered if we did the right thing. He may have been mad, but he also may have been unjustly convicted like we were. "We need to go back." I shout to Olivia. She was steering Penny, guiding our falcons through the sky. "What are you talking about?" She asks. "The prisoner. We have to go back for him." "Are you nuts? Do you have any idea what I went through to rescue you?" She shouts over the wind. "I know, and I appreciate it, but-" "But what?" "But I'm not so convinced he was guilty." "He was crazy. Believe me." Olivia says. "I believe you, but isn't it possible that the harsh conditions he was living in made him that way?" I suggest. Olivia cocks her head slightly and glares at me. "We're not going back to prove or disprove his innocence. Maybe that's his lot in life." "To be a prisoner?" I question. Olivia continues steering. "Some people come back as royalty, others come back as con men." I sigh. "I guess you're right, but what about Todd?" "What about him?" She asks. "Well, we left him in a tree." Olivia droops her shoulders. "You're right. We'll circle the forest for him."

No comments:

Post a Comment