Followers

Sunday, February 8, 2015

Cave Dweling

We sit in a circle surrounded by the warm glowing pink bubble. It is inches from the cave walls. Mr. Bones plucks the cigarette from his mouth. He puts it out on the ground. "Close proximity. Thought I'd spare you the second hand smoke." "That was polite." I tell him. "I am a hermit, but I do have manners." He assures us. "What happened to your home?" Olivia asks. Mr. Bones slants his head. " You were there." "I know, but what was it like from your perspective?" She asks. Mr. Bones leans back. His spine nearly touching the pink wall. " I remember a loud boom." He says, waving his hands in the air. "Then there were all these cracks in the ground and ceiling. They were ity bity at first, but they became bigger and bigger." He motions with his hands, showing the growing gap. "Before I knew it, the cracks became holes. I got sucked into one of them." He does a falling motion. " I fell for what seemed like forever until I hit a slanty slope." He smacks his hands together. " All my bones came apart on impact. My head rolled down the hill. It eventually stopped and was buried under layers of snow." "Wow, that's incredible. How did you reunite yourself with your body?" I ask. "I'm not finished." He scowls. "Sorry, go on. " I say, sheepishly. " I could feel my body even though it was miles away. I guess that's what you would call phantom limb syndrome." Olivia and I glance at each other. Probably the oddest definition of phantom limb. However, we don't say anything. We let him continue. "My hand starts crawling." He does a crawling motion with his right hand. " It started sniffing everything." "It was sniffing?" Olivia asks. "Yeah, how else was it gonna find my body?" Mr. Bones continues the crawling motion. " It sniffed here and there and found my rib cage. It pulled with all its might and was able to unearth it. You know the problem with that though?" "The hand doesn't connect to the rib cage?" I respond as if it were a trick question. "It doesn't connect to the rib cage!" He shouts, pumping his fist in the air. "So what did you do?" Olivia asks. " That was a victory, but like we said, those bones don't connect, so he left it there. Luckily all the other bones have distinct scents. He was able to lock in on them and find them in the correct order." "I'm assuming your skull was the last thing it found?" I suggest. Mr. Bones nods. " I was a man without a head for a while. I don't know if my body was screwing with me at that point or if it was truly lost because I could hear it walking around." "What did you do?" I ask. "Only thing I knew how to do. I whistled dixie." "You whistled dixie?" Olivia repeats. "It was muffled,but he could hear it, or at least feel the vibrations." Mr. Bones lets out a sigh. "It dug me up. We were reunited, and I've been living in this swanky cave ever since." "You haven't left?" Olivia wonders. " Look around, there's no way out." He says as a matter of fact. Olivia and I scan the cave. Our chamber is barely big enough for the three of us. There are tiny cracks, nothing big enough to squeeze through though. Mr. Bones stretches. "It's not so bad. I'm a good roommate."

No comments:

Post a Comment