Followers

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Outside the Bar



The outside of the bar is sketchier than the inside. It's unlit and there are broken bottles galore. Olivia runs up to me. "What's your problem?" She demands. "My problem is that the man we were watching is being seen as a hero by the whole country, and perhaps the world now." "So?" She says with a blank stare. I am taken aback by her apathetic statement. "So, the man is not giving credit where credit is due." I inform her. "Is this about money?" She asks. "No." "Accolades?" I don't respond, but my silence is confirmation enough for her. "You want to be famous?" She continues. I shake my head no. "It's not so much that." "Then what is it?" I bite my lip. "That should have been us on T.V." Olivia sighs. "I think that is wanting to be famous." She says. "Ok, maybe it is a little bit." I admit. Olivia comforts me. "There's nothing wrong with wanting that. I too am a bit jealous of Spike, but it's both our faults. We didn't step up when we had the chance." "It's deeper than that." I explain. "What do you mean?" "Spike is feeding the media lies, and they're eating it up." "That's their problem." She says. I squint my eyes. "What?" "You shouldn't believe everything you read or see. Learn to discern." She proclaims. " I agree, but it is difficult for the average person to do that when they told one thing constantly." Olivia pauses for a moment then continues. "You really think it would be better if the public knew the 1700's man was a magical, talking skeleton?" "Maybe." I say. "What would change?" "Are you kidding me? It would change everything." "What would it change?" Olivia repeats. The funny thing is, I know this revelation would transform reality, but I can't explain specifically how. Olivia jumps in. "Most would not believe it." "So cynical." I criticize. "That may be, but the fact is most people wouldn't believe it because they wouldn't want to." "What if they saw him talk themselves?" I ask, thinking I threw a curve ball. "Doesn't matter, they'd find a way to write it off." She insists. I let out a deep breath. "I guess you're right." Olivia pulls me closer. "It can be like our own joke." I half smile. "Let's go back in, get a couple drinks,and take off." "Where?" I ask. "Anywhere we want."

No comments:

Post a Comment