Followers

Monday, February 23, 2015

Inhabitants

Don't be so harsh. Don't be so critical. Go with the flow, enjoy the ride. A pep talk I give myself, as we enter the Warehouse. The stairway is littered with graffiti. I'll take that as a good sign. I'll view it as them paying homage to street art of the 1980's. That feels better. Maybe they are an intelligent group who know a thing or two about art. Maybe the rest is more original. As we ascend the stairs, the ambient music grows louder. It sounds like a pulsating heart, beating rapidly. It's nerve racking. I wish it would stop. I don't like it one bit. We reach the top. A woman with a bob haircut, and a flapper dress glares at us. "They know Spike." The bouncer informs her. She turns with an air of arrogance and heads to the room where the pulsating heart emanates. The three of us follow her into the room. The heart beat is so loud that I can not hear myself think at this point. That might be a good thing. My brain does not need to over analyze this ridiculousness. It is a dimly lit room. The flapper woman stands against a pink wall. She smokes from a long cigarette holder. In the center of the room there is a man in his mid twenties. He has a scruffy beard and looks as though he has not slept in days. He picks tomatoes out of a barrel and hurls them at the wall. "Greetings!" The flapper woman shouts. The heart beat is so loud, she is practically screaming. She continues. "We are the dreamers, the schemers. The mischief makers. We are the the one's who question authority and push boundaries. We are the one's who will not be silenced. We are the Inhabitants and we are here to stay. We are the Inhabitants and we welcome you into our abode." The flapper woman finishes her speech, and the man halts throwing tomatoes. They both look to us for approval. The bouncer whispers to us. "You can applaud now." Olivia and I reluctantly applaud. The flapper bows. The man stands, motionless. " Thank you. As I said,we are the Inhabitants. That is only a small taste of what you can look forward to tonight." Just what I was looking forward to, an evening of pretentiousness. I hope I can find the food soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment