Followers

Sunday, February 15, 2015

Persuading Mr. Bones



A harmonica plays in the distance. In an area that is smaller than the smallest apartment, distance is an abstract term. Yet somewhere blues emanates from one of the many shadows. "Are you depressed?" I ask, not sure where the tunes are coming from. The Blues music abruptly stops. "Why would you ask that?" "Because you're playing the blues." Mr. Bones steps out of the shadows. "You don't have to be depressed to play the blues. Besides, what else am I gonna play on the harmonica?" "Good point." "So, why did you come back?" He asks me. "There's trouble." Mr. Bones brushes it off. "There always is. Where's your girl?" I point my head towards the surface. "She didn't wanna come with?" He questions. I shake my head no. " It was too dangerous." Mr. Bones laughs to himself. "What?" I demand. "She's a grown woman. She can take care of herself." He informs me. "But I don't trust that guy up there." "So, you left her up there with someone you think is dangerous? You're all over the place." Mr. Bones continues to chuckle. "Can I tell you why I came back?" I ask, annoyed. "Yeah, sure. Why did you come back?" I gesture to the hole in the ceiling. "The man who drilled the hole wants to take everything from the cave." Mr. Bones stands motionless. Even though he has no eyes, I can tell he looks bewildered. He eventually says "So?" I can't believe this is not registering in his skull. Something that is so obvious to me is beyond him. "So? That means they'll take you. You'll spend the rest of your days in a museum." I say frantically, trying to get some sort of emotional response out of him. His mouth opens wide. The idea pleases him. "Me? In a museum?" He gasps. "You don't want that." "How do you know what I want?" He snaps. "You'll be stuck behind thick glass." I rationalize. "How is that any different than being in a cave?" Suddenly, I am at a lack for words. "I'll have adoring fans." He says with wonderment. "You won't be able to interact with them." "I know, but I'll see so many glowing smiles. This is what I want." "Are you sure?" I ask. "Yes. Go to the surface, tell him what you found."

No comments:

Post a Comment