Followers

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Drill!

Picture yourself in the dentist's chair. Even if you did everything right(brushing, flossing etc.) there is still an amount of anxiety trapped inside you. It doesn't help any when he brings out the sharp, pointy tools and starts using them. The little tools scraping around in your mouth echoes in the otherwise quiet, brightly lit room. It feels as if you are standing next to an amplifier at a rock concert. Now,take that anxiety, take that utterly repulsive noise and magnify it. That's what it feels like waiting for this drill to come through. We are all huddled tightly against the walls. Mr. Bones fears not death, but he wishes not to be dismantled again. I can hear the drilling overhead. It's loud and aggressive. "It's getting closer." Mr. Bones shouts over the drilling. "I can hear it breaking the rocks." He continues. Mr. Bones realized what he had said. He grabs both our heads and forces us down. "What the hell are you doing?" I demand, trying to release myself from his hold. "It's here!" He shouts. I see the tip of the blade peek in from the ceiling. "Duck!" Mr. Bones commands. Just like in a grade school tornado drill, Olivia and I duck down against the wall. We didn't look up once to see the whirling blades or the rocks whizzing past us. I can't say the same for Mr. Bones. His skeletal body gave us extra protection. The rocks that were ground level, that would have hit us, he got directly in their path. They always knocked him back a few steps, but they never broke a bone. After what seemed like hours, the drill stopped. We didn't move till Mr. Bones tapped us on the shoulders and gave us the go ahead. We gradually stand up. We see at the center of our cave a massive, deadly, spiraling drill. Daylight shines in. "Guess this is your ticket out of here." Mr. Bones says to us. I nod. "Are you coming with?" I ask. "No." "You can join us." Olivia assures him. "People don't take to kindly to skeletons." He says, jokingly. I laugh. "Besides I'm in the business of collecting treasure." "That's right. Does that mean you have my shield?" I ask. Mr. Bones laughs and slaps me on the back. "That yellow thing?" "Yes." I say, eagerly. "It's not yours now." He informs me. "But I earned it." Mr. Bones pulls me in closer. "Trust me, you don't need it."

No comments:

Post a Comment