Followers

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Speech

Spike clears his throat before addressing the audience. " I suppose dreams do come true." He chuckles to himself. The crowd cheers. "My name is Spike. Or as some of you like to call me "The Spike" He says, eyeing the Flapper. " This is the kind of thing I would dream about,but never thought for a moment it would become reality." I lean over to Olivia. "You think he'll say anything about the 1700's man?" "I highly doubt it." "Where do you think Mr. Bones is anyways?" I ask. "Don't know, you wanna go look for him?" I nod. We try to slink away, but Spike see's our attempted escape. "May I help you with something?" Spike asks us in his most intimidating voice. "We were just looking for something." I say. Spike squints his eyes. "Do I know you?" "Yeah, you invited us." Olivia explains. Spike smiles, a big, fake movie star smile. " Oh my goodness. Ladies and gentlemen. These kind folks are from my home town." The crowd applauds for us. " How about you come on stage with me?" "I couldn't do that." I insist. "Sure, you can." He says , trying to pull us on stage. Spike addresses the audience. "Wouldn't you all like to see them up here with me?" The crowd cheers once more. "I'm sorry, but they've spoken." He tells us. We begrudgingly accept his offer. The crowd parts as we make our way to the stage. The flapper rejoins the crowd. We stand on the stage next to Spike not knowing what to say. "Wouldn't you like to say something?" He asks us. "We don't know what to say." Olivia tells him. "Tell them what it was like growing up with me." "We don't know you." The crowd gasps. Spike nervously laughs. "That's just their dry sense of humor." "Why are we here?" I ask. "What do you mean? I'm doing the right thing. Once you make it, you don't forget about your humble beginnings." He informs us. Olivia rolls her eyes. "Whatever. Glad you made it. Where's Mr. Bones?" "Who?" He asks. " Oh, sorry, The 1700's man. That's just our funny nickname for him." I say. "He's not here!" The Flapper shouts out. "Where is he?" I ask. "The Met." She responds in a bored tone. "What's the Met?" I ask. The Flapper sighs. "The Metropolitan Museum of Art?" Spike takes a breath. " They didn't think it was right that I should have sole custody of it." The Flapper jumps in. "But what do they know?" "Who cares what they know. This is something that belongs to the world." I state. The Flapper laughs at me. "Let the Met have him. They'll never understand him like we do. We're the true artists." I look her dead in the eyes. "No, you're not." I then turn to Olivia. "Ready to leave?"

No comments:

Post a Comment