Followers

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Hors d'oeuvres

Many of the walls are torn down, allowing open space for installation pieces. As odd as it appears, I can appreciate a gigantic red apple at the center of the warehouse. At least it doesn't yell at me. All I'm saying is that performance art gets old fast. There are kids wearing tuxedos, carrying around trays with appetizers. Most of them don't look like they could be any older than sixteen or seventeen. All of them are nervous. Most likely their first time in a big event. I'm guessing they were art students looking for extra credit. A pimply kid offers us something I have never before seen. "What is that?" Olivia asks. He looks down at the tray. "It's a beet , and it's wrapped in .. um.. I don't remember." Olivia smiles politely and grabs two of the appetizers. He walks away from us. I take a bite of mine and cringe. Olivia tries to be more accepting as she takes a bite of hers, but her face looks even more repulsed than mine did. She spits it into her hand. "Did you like that?" She asks. "Not one bit." "You wanna get Mcdonalds after this?" "I have never loved you more than I do at this moment." I declare. Olivia smiles. "Where is the man of the hour?" I wonder. "Who knows? Who cares?" The Flapper woman tings her champagne glass. Everyone in the room turns to her. "Thank you, Now if you could all raise your champagne glasses." The crowd collectively lift their glasses into the air. Olivia and I stare at each other, wondering how we missed drinks. I raise my hand. The flapper looks tired/ annoyed as she calls on me. "Yes?" She asks. "We didn't get any champagne. We somehow missed that tray." I say. "Just pretend you are holding them." She instructs us. Olivia and I raise our hands in the air, pretending we are holding glasses with our pinkies out. The flapper continues her speech. " To a man who's potential knows no bounds. To a man we should all aspire to." I chuckle. Olivia elbows me. "You're embarrassing me." Spike shouts out from the crowd. "It's well deserved praise, my friend. Come up here. Let the people she your face." She says to him. " No, I couldn't do that." He replies. "I don't know, I think the people would love to see your face. What do you think?" She asks the crowd. The crowd cheers, encouraging him to get on stage with her. He reluctantly joins her. He's wearing the same Armani suit from the interview. Can't say I blame him, those suits are expensive. Still, he could probably afford a new one now. I don't think anyone cares or notices though. They all clap and cheer. They eventually quiet down only to chant "Speech, speech, speech" a moment later. "What do you think he's gonna say?" Olivia asks me. " I don't know, but it's gonna be good."

No comments:

Post a Comment