Followers

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Spike's Interview

When word got out about the 1700's man, the quiet New England town was a buzz. Everyone and their mother wanted to be a part of history. It was wall to wall people everywhere you looked. Before we knew it, the roads were blocked off. We couldn't leave if we wanted to, and we really wanted to. At the heart of the phenomena was Spike. He took all the credit for the miraculous find. I guess you say that was our fault. We were too dumbfounded by everything. By the time we had realized what was happening around us, it was too late. No one would believe us. Olivia and I are at a local bar. We're waiting for Spike's latest interview. It's jam packed. I overhear the sea of customers. Many of them tell stories about how they knew him before he was famous. I hear women claiming to be former loves. Men telling tales of getting into trouble with him during their younger days. I even hear from teachers and neighbors. The bartender orders us all to quiet down as the show starts. I am in a seedy dive bar surrounded by strangers, but there is an eerie calm. This is the shining moment for this town. Because Spike made it, it is as if they all made it. I stare at the T.V. screen. It opens up with Spike strolling down a suburban sidewalk. He has his hair slicked back and wears a nice Armani suit. The interview is a joke. It has virtually nothing to do with the "historic find" , but rather his humble beginnings. No one in the bar seems to care. They eat it up. Everyone, including the bartender. When they go past his old high school, or a favorite burger joint, the crowd cheers. It takes time, but the interviewer does ask about Mr. Bones. She asks how he knew to dig in that precise location. Spike is a deer in the headlights. He takes his time answering. When he is ready, he replies " I just knew." The interviewer approvingly smiles. In her eyes, this man trusted his intuition and was ultimately rewarded. The crowd cheers even harder than before. Someone shouts out " I always knew there was something special about him." I angrily storm out of the bar. I want to be accepting of this. I want to be ok with this, but it annoys me to no end that this man is being put higher and higher on a pedestal.

No comments:

Post a Comment