Followers

Thursday, February 18, 2016

Cave Meeting

After the meal, the hunter insisted that we formulate a plan. So, we all met in the cave that Olivia and I previously lodged in to discuss the next step. The Cook stayed behind in the kitchen, and Penny was with her family, but the rest of the members of the rebellion were there. "So, what is the plan?" The hunter asks as I take a seat on the cot. I remove my shoes. "Well, I'm going to sleep. You guys can stick around if you like. Just please try not to make so much noise." "I meant our takeover. What should we do next?" "Oh, I have no idea." "But you're the leader." The hunter gasps. "Signing that contract was only something I did to save my skin." I confess. "And it revealed your cleverness." He replies. "Thank you." "But now's the time to take the next step with your cleverness. Build a society." He encourages. I wearily rub my face. "Why?" "Because you're the leader." He repeats. "Yes, I am the leader, but I don't feel like I have to change anything. Everybody seems happy." "Sure, they all seem that way." He remarks. "Don't give me that." I snap. "Are you saying you don't care about their emotional well being?" Todd asks. "I care, but there is only so much I can do. Even as a leader. But if you want to build a new Wellness Center and disregard their customs and traditions just to fit your own agenda then be my guest." I lay on my side. My back is to everyone. "You're in a cave." The hunter says. "No shit." I mutter. "Doesn't that bother you?" He asks. "I'll admit it's a little weird, but everyone is in caves." "Not everyone." He replies. I roll over and stare at the hunter. "What are you talking about?" "The cook lives in a very nice place. Not a cave at all." "He does not." Olivia says. "He does. I have seen it." The hunter proclaims. "So, what? He saved my life." I reply. "He saved mine as well, but the fact remains that he is living the high life while the rest of us are scraping to get by." He explains. I sigh. "I'll go there tomorrow and talk with him. Is that what you want?" "You do not know where he lives. Only I do." Then take me there, but wait outside." "Why?" "Because you can be intimidating." I say. "He's right." The baker chimes in. "Fine. I'll wait outside. But this will get done."

No comments:

Post a Comment