Followers

Monday, February 15, 2016

The Volcano Office

The guard walked us to the volcano office. Having never been there before, Olivia and the hunter were in complete awe. They marveled at the enormous interior, and the stood with their mouths agape. There was someone in Ruth's seat. I couldn't tell who it was because the chair was turned around facing the window like a James Bond super villain. The person in the chair waved to the guard with the back of his hand, motioning for him to leave. As soon as the guard left, the person in the chair swung around to face us. I was amazed. It was none other than Mamba. He now wore a business suit, but he still had his court jester's hat. "I really should be thanking you. You saved my life." He says. "How are you here?" I ask. "It's simple, really. When you took up the position as general, and insisted that I live and not be tortured, she did the only thing she could think of to keep me out of the way. She gave me the job of a lowly janitor." "You were a janitor?" I ask. "Indeed. I was the best janitor there ever was. I kept all floors and surfaces clean, until the next day, or sometimes the next hour." "You don't look like a janitor anymore." Olivia says. "No, I am not. I'm the Chancellor now." "What the hell does that mean?" The hunter asks. "It has to do with laws. Legal stuff." "You don't even know what you do?" I question. Mamba shakes his head. "Not really. I kinda just made up the title for myself the other day." "And they went for that?" Olivia asks. "Sure did. Mostly everyone was at war when I decided to appoint myself to a title that I had never heard of. But you know what? Every single one of them believes that I am of authority." "That's great, we just have to get them to believe that I am of authority now." I say. "That shouldn't be too hard. You are the general after all." Mamba replies. "I am, but they want proof." Mamba smiles. "Ah, you need the contract." He says. "Yes, I do." Mamba picks up a letter opener off the desk. "Lucky for you I know where it is." Mamba jams the letter opener in the crack of the top drawer. He wiggles it around for a little bit and the pries it open like a crow bar. He rummages through the drawer. "Ah, this should be it." He hands me a thick contract with small print. I flip to the last page. "This is the contract." I declare. "But that's not my signature." "What do you mean that's not your name?" He asks. "Well, I remember I had reservations about signing a contract I never read, so I wrote an alias." Olivia grabs the contract. "No, that's not your name, but we can't exactly read it." Mamba taps his fingers. "Does anyone in the village know your name?" He asks. "I don't think so." I reply. Mamba jumps out of his seat. "That's perfect. You don't need a name. Tomorrow we'll make the speech declaring you are the new leader."

No comments:

Post a Comment