Followers

Saturday, February 13, 2016

Riverside Celebration

The Royal Cook flew me to the edge of the river. The site where Olivia famously stood her ground against Ruth's dark forces. Everyone was there. Todd, Peter, the falcons, the hunter, and his wife. Everyone. When we landed Olivia gave me a big hug. Congratulating me many, many times. I did not, however, hug back. My arms were limp. My mind was a million miles away. "What's the matter?" She asks. I pull away to respond. "I didn't do anything." "What do you mean you didn't do anything? You saved the day." I point to the burning forest in the distance. "It's something that had to be done." She responds. "Perhaps. But I'm not the one who took her down. Something else got her." "That was me." The hunter chimes in. "You shot her down?" I ask. "I did." "But how? The whole forest was on fire. There was no where safe to stand." I question. The hunter smirks. "I was at the outer edge of the forest." My eyes light up. "You were able to shoot her from that distance?" The hunter nods. "I don't mean to brag but I am the best archer." I look the hunter straight in the eyes. "You are the true hero of this story." The hunter rests his hand hand on my shoulder. "I may be an incredible shot, but you helped as well. You trapped her for me." "I suppose I did." I say, looking down. "You did help. But we all  had a part in this." With the hunter's words, everyone broke into cheers. "What now?" Todd asks. His voice nearly inaudible over the celebratory sounds. The hunter clenches his fist. "Now, we build a better tomorrow."

No comments:

Post a Comment