Followers

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Peacetime Meal

Apparently the daily routine of the village gathering for meals was upheld even in wartime. Granted there were  far less people, but the tradition was kept up with none the less. Now it is a time of peace, and every single person from the village showed up at the impressive stone table. We had to rummage for some chairs. Some people were sitting on logs. None seemed to mind though. No one even cared that they were eating days old soup. (The Cook had little time to prepare). Everyone was just glad to be there. Most everyone that is. "Aren't you gonna make your announcement?" The guard asks. "I already did." I respond. "Yes, but some of us weren't able to make it." "Well, in that case.... I'm the the new leader." I say with food in my mouth. I'm met with gasps and confusion. "Should we be concerned?" Someone asks the guard. "You need not worry." Olivia assures. "That's right, because they have a plan." The guard mocks. "What is the plan?" A man asks. "I can't say." "Why not?" "Because it's top secret. This is just how it has to be." Everyone talks among themselves in various shades of annoyances. Meanwhile the mother stares at me. "You look familiar." She says. "Can't say where you would know me from." I reply. "Did you rule this land not too long ago?" She asks. "Yes, they both did." The guard shouts, pointing to Olivia. "They claimed to be Gods, but we kicked those heretics out." He continues. Everyone shouts and argues at the same time. The hunter pounds his fists on the table. Everyone is quiet once again. "What does it matter if they were heretics in the past?They are the leaders now and we have the documents to prove it." He pushes his seat out. "But we don't have to prove ourselves." He starts to walk away. "This, surely is not a meal fit for a king or even a peasant."

No comments:

Post a Comment