Followers

Friday, February 12, 2016

Dangling

It should come as no surprise that a burning branch will spread quickly. I had to let it go. I dropped the branch into the already out of control wildfire. I watched as its orange was enveloped into the inferno. I sighed quietly to myself. I was now vulnerable. It didn't mater at that point if Ruth were to come back. I could only hang on for so long. I could only trust that this branch wouldn't snap for so long. Ruth must have sensed that my spirits were low because not a moment later I heard her shriek. She terrifyingly flew through the smoke and flames. An impossible feat for a normal creature. Maybe  I had no weapons on me, but I wasn't going to go down easily. As soon as I had the opportunity I was going to kick her face as hard as I possibly could. I watched her fly closer and closer. My blood was boiling. I was ready. Then, when she was within kicking range, she let out a pained cry, and fell to the Earth. She became lost in the bright orange glow. "Don't look down. Look up." A voice shouted to me. I looked up to see the Royal Cook and Penny. "Get me out of here." I shouted back. Without saying another word, the Royal Cook swooped low enough to snatch me out of the tree. With flew off into the sky, with the raging inferno far behind us.

No comments:

Post a Comment