Followers

Friday, April 15, 2016

Convince Sgt.

We trudged along the outer perimeter for a good hour and a half. The sun was beating down on us, and every step forward was two steps back. At the half way point I found my legs ready to give out. I didn't want to slow down. I didn't want to collapse, but truth be told, I hadn't had any water in what felt like ages. "C'mon. Get up." Olivia urges. "I can't." "Yes you can." "No, go on with out me." "Cut the shit. We're  ahead of everyone else , but Sgt. Rodgers is gonna catch up with us any minuet." As if one que, Sgt. Rodgers walked up with her troop. "Found the mask already?" She asks. "We were just taking a break." Olivia says. "No. No breaks till we find the mask." She says with gritted teeth. "But we have no idea where it is." I shout. "And yet you two were on the island before? How strange is that?" "That was two years ago." "I don't care for excuses. Pick him up." She says, coldly. Olivia helps me up. "There, are we ready to start again?" "Sergeant, may I speak a concern?" Olivia asks. "Speak quickly." "Well, it seems we're going about this the wrong way." Sgt. Rodger's face reddens. "Are you questioning my authority?" "It just seems there is a much better way to go about this." "And what would that be?" "Why are we all together? Shouldn't we spread out?" Olivia asks. "Absolutely not. I cannot risk losing one, single soldier. Besides I don't trust either one of you. Any other suggestions?" She asks smugly. "Yeah, why are we walking along beaches? " I chime in. "Excuse me?" "There is more jungle than beach." I add. "What's your point?" She asks, annoyed. "I'm pretty sure the last time we had it was in the jungle, not the beach." "So, you remember that all the sudden?" She says, sarcastically. "He's right. It's in the jungle. Deep in the jungle." The sergeant breathes heavily. "We'll finish securing the perimeter. Then we'll venture into the jungle." "But we have a helicopter. We don't have to walk everywhere." I say. "Yes, we do. We'd have no way of finding that while in the helicopter. It would be like a needle in a haystack." She scolds. "Not necessarily. I remember landing on the island by parachute one day. All we have to do is look for a parachute caught in a tree because the mask was in that area." Olivia replies. "That was two years ago. I'm sure the parachute blew away by this point." Sgt. Rodgers says. "Maybe not. We should check." I insist. " I seriously doubt it's there..." "But?" Olivia says, trying to pull the words out of her mouth. "But you could be right." Sgt. Rodgers turns to her troops. "Everybody back to the helicopter."

No comments:

Post a Comment