Followers

Friday, April 1, 2016

Safe Spot

Olivia stumbled into a dark room filled with stacks of boxes. She groped the wall tirelessly looking for a light switch. "Don't bother searching for a switch. There isn't one." A voice calls out. Olivia squints her eyes. "Todd?" "That's me." "What are you doing here?" "Contemplating." He says, simply. "I see." "No you don't. You have no idea where I am."  Olivia sighs loudly. "There is a box by your feet. It's pretty sturdy if you want to sit down." Olivia slowly crouches down and sits on the box. "What are you contemplating?" She asks. "Oh, things aren't going well." "With the building you mean?" "Yes." "That's fairly obvious. But we can help you." Olivia says. "I'm afraid I might have to take you up on that." Olivia is slightly taken aback. "Don't act like it's such a bad thing." She snaps. "It is. This Wellness Center has been passed down my family for generations. I should innately know what to do, but I don't." "Stop being so hard on yourself. You have this. Some of your ideas are... well they're bad, but we can improve on it."  "I guess you're right." He says, still less than enthusiastic. "You're damn right I'm right. Now let's get out of the dark." "I don't think that's a good idea." "Why?" Olivia questions. "You guys dug up the anchor, right? Causing the Wellness Center to lift high into the atmosphere." "We did. Why?" "Surely you noticed that the winds are much more destructive in the sky?" "We have, but what do you suggest we do?" "Stay here. The winds won't harm you in this room. This is the safest place to be right now." "How long do we stay in here?" Olivia asks. "Till the windstorm is over." Olivia pauses for a moment, reflecting on Todd's statement. "If this is truly the safest room to be in how will we even know when the windstorm is over?" "I'll know."

No comments:

Post a Comment