Followers

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Find

I wondered what could possibly be important enough to grab Sgt. Rodgers' attention. I thought maybe they had found a helmet. Then I remembered that Olivia wasn't the only one to leave behind something on this island. We were all face to face with the net that caught me. "You think someone else is on this island, Sarg?" A fresh faced soldier asks Sgt. Rodgers. "Our satellite surveillance didn't pick up any inhabitants on the island, but you can never be too sure." She calmly replies. "I think there are other people. " I say without thinking. Sgt. Rodgers raises and eyebrow. "Oh, you do? Do you know for sure? Or is that an educated guess?" She asks, inching closer to me. "An educated guess." I say. "You better not be withholding any information." "He's not. We're not." Olivia says nervously. Sgt. Rodgers turns and re examines the net. She feels the ropes with her fingers. "They appear to be withered. This could be an old trap, a very old trap. In that case it would be likely there are no inhabitants around. But I can't take any chances." "Does that mean we're leaving?" Olivia asks. Sgt. Rodgers laughs. "We are." "What?" Olivia and I say in unison. "You heard me." Sgt. Rodgers whistles. Her troop comes to her side. She starts to leave the jungle. "Jones, stay here." She says to the fresh faced soldier. "Why me?" He asks. "Someone has to ensure they don't leave." With that Sgt. Rodgers takes off into the thick jungle with the rest of her troop.

No comments:

Post a Comment