Followers

Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Big Storm

There was a powerful storm last night. It started off as a quiet tapping against the small window, but the momentum gradually grew until it was a full storm with crackling thunder and all. The thing about being in the tree is that you can feel all the subtle gusts of wind. Trees will bend during such a storm. It was an unsettling feeling to be in the midst of that, but I kept chanting to myself "Trees will bend, not break." I should further explain that while I chanted that I didn't fully believe it, so my words were meaningless. At least to myself. Olivia overheard my chatting and offered her sympathies. "It's just a storm. We'll be ok." "You're right." I replied. But I still didn't quite believe it. Bang! Crash! Okay, that was just thunder I remind myself. Then I heard what sounded like many pots and pans falling on the kitchen floor. I sprung up. "Did you hear that?" "Yeah, it's probably nothing." After that, I heard the unmistakable sound of footsteps coming up the stairs. I knew without a doubt someone was in the house now, but still I did not move. Perhaps it was out of shock. Maybe this person would pass by our room? The footsteps grew closer and my heart raced faster. As soon as I heard our doorknob jiggle I jumped from the bed and pushed my body against the dresser. The person was unable to get in so he knocked instead. Loudly and aggressively. This person meant business, but I wasn't about to let anyone in. Nor was Olivia who just joined me. It was like a game. See who could give in first. I had no idea who was on the other side of the door, but they were strong. They almost got in several times. I was getting tired and wanted to give up, but then I heard a tapping at the window. I looked over my shoulder to see Norm outside the window. I was so startled I let out a scream. Olivia, hearing my reaction turned to the window. She let out a scream as well upon seeing Norm. "Open the door."He shouts. "What? Why?" I ask.  "Because that's Freddy." Olivia and I take a moment to collect ourselves. We then push the dresser aside and open the door. I was expecting Freddy to be livid. Instead he had the same stupid grin on his face. "Sorry about that Freddy. I had no idea it was you." I say. "It's ok." He says simply, and then shakes himself dry. Which makes everything else soaked. Norm taps on the window. "Hey, let me in too."  I open the window. Norm crawls through the little opening, and sits down on the floor. "I don't know if you are aware, but there's a storm going on." There is a  massive thunderclap. It shakes the room back and forth. We all have trouble finding our footing for a moment. Freddy, however, is so frightened that he hides under the bed. I watch him shaking for a moment. "Yes, I'm aware of the storm."

No comments:

Post a Comment