Followers

Sunday, November 27, 2016

What's Ethical?

"Why didn't you pink heart them?" I ask. " I don't know. I guess I didn't think of it." "Yeah, It's hard to remember such things during times of stress." "Yeah." Olivia says in agreement. There is a brief pause in the conversation, and then she begins again. "I've been thinking a lot about my abilities." "What about them?" I ask. "Well, I have this great power to change people's perspectives even if it is only for a small amount of time." "And?" "And I'm wondering, should I exercise caution with these abilities?" "I don't see why you should." Olivia sighs. "I guess what I'm getting at is this ethical?" "What's unethical about it?" I ask. "I'm basically forcing my perspective on people." "But how is that a bad thing? You can save so many people with this." I inform. " I know that. I'm well aware of that, but if Norm and Freddy wanted to join Sgt. Rodgers army, even it is for what we think are stupid reasons, is it my place to stop them if that is what is in their heart?" I shrug. "I don't know." "I don't either. And that's where I'm at." We don't  talk for a while. The heavy philosophical conversation weighs on both our minds. Eventually our thoughts are interrupted by the crackling wail of a banshee in the distance. "What was that?" Olivia asks, worriedly. "A banshee." I respond casually.  Olivia turns around and starts walking in the direction of the wail. "Where are you going?" I shout. "We have to help. We have to save them?" "But what about all that about exercising caution?" "There's a banshee. We have to go." Olivia doesn't even wait for a response this time. She starts to run in the direction of the banshee wail.

No comments:

Post a Comment