Followers

Saturday, November 5, 2016

Under the Willow Tree

I sat and stared out into the marsh that I had previously emerged from. I could not locate any of my friends. If it weren't for my muddy clothes I would have naturally assumed that my previous experiences were all but a dream. "Hey, you didn't touch your soup." A voice shouts from behind me. I look to the side to see a light green soup in a stone bowl by my feet. "There's no spoon." I say. Olivia crosses in front of me and then takes a seat on the ground beside me. "No, there's not. But you can pick it up and drink it that way." "I suppose I could." "Don't worry. It's not barbaric." "I just don't want to spill anything." I admit. "I wouldn't care if you did." I shrug, picking up the cold stone bowl and pourning the contents into my mouth. Indeed bits of soup splattered on my body, but I didn't care. I was famished. I drank the whole thing. When I was done I pushed the bowl aside and gave a satisfied grin. "Was it good?" Olivia asks. "Yeah, it was like split pea soup but better." "And it wasn't too hot?" "No, it was tepid." Olivia smiles. "Oh good. I didn't think it was scalding, but I wasn't sure when I took it." "Took it? What are you talking about? You didn't make it?" I ask. "No, I grabbed it." "From where?" "From a stove." She says straight forward. "Where was the stove?" Olivia points to a large opening in the willow tree. "Through there."  "Is that someone's house?" I ask nervously. " "It looks like it, but I don't think anyone is home." "That doesn't mean we can take their stuff." "Normally I would agree, but you were in dire need of sustenance." She says. I sign."You're right and I thank you for your help. Now I think we should return the bowl and be on our way." Olivia picks up the bowl and looks to the sky. "What now?" I ask. "Night is coming. We should stay here." "No. We can't do that." "And why not?" She asks. "Because this is someone's house. What if they come back?" "They'll be easier to deal with than the monsters." I shake my head. "Fine. We'll stay the night. "

No comments:

Post a Comment