Followers

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

20 Questions

Making an escape is not easy. At least not when the motivational speaker is standing right next to you. Another example where the idea of politeness strikes again. He asks us many personal questions. Where did we grow up? What kind of food do we like? What are we afraid of? I don't respond to any of his questions. Even if I knew him personally, I think this would still be a bit invasive. I look out in to the pond. It's as if I keep staring into the murky waters an answer will come to me. Despite my silence, he doesn't take the hint that I don't want to talk. That only annoys me further. I strongly dislike people who can't take a hint. After five minuets of me being quiet, and Olivia barely speaking, he glances at his watch. "Looks like its time to head back in." "You go ahead, we'll be right with you." I say. He sees rights through our facade. "I think we should go in together." He insists. "We have some catching up to do. We'll meet you inside." I reply. "Where are you going?" He asks, jumping to it. "What?" I nervously laugh. " I've seen this s before. Where are you going?" He asks again. I shake my head. "Away from here." "You have to understand, this retreat isn't what we thought it would be." Olivia says. "What did you think it would be?" I shrug. "Something relevant to owning a library." The speaker is trying his best not to be angry. " I am teaching you how to be a leader. Don't you think that would be helpful?" "Not really." I respond, simply. The speaker takes a deep breath. "You are free to leave, but I don't think you should." "Why not?" I ask. "Because it is the most cowardly thing you could do right now. Do you want to be a coward?" I hang my head and walk into the building. I know I'm playing into his game, but he got me. Plan and simple, he got me.

No comments:

Post a Comment