Followers

Saturday, July 4, 2015

Changes

"Microfiche?" Malory, the librarian asks with the most puzzled expression. "It was the internet before the internet." I say. "They're machines that are used to look up articles as well as some films." Olivia clarifies. "Oh, we have a couple of those in the back." Malory replies. I start to leave. Olivia yanks my cape and pulls me back like a yo yo. "We have other things we wish to request." Olivia tells her. Malory's mouth shrinks. "The books were a good start, but we need subcategories." Olivia explains. "Subcategories?" Malory repeats. "Yes, for example "The Swiss Family Robinson?" Where do you think that belongs?" Olivia asks. Malory shakes nervously. Olivia exhales. "Well, it has adventure, but it also has the element of family." "So, a family adventure?" Malory asks. Olivia smiles. "Yes." "A Family Adventure? Would that be under Mind, Body, or Spirit?" Before either of us can respond Malory rubs her head. "I can't think." "I'm sure it's not easy having someone come in and change all the rules. " I say as comforting as I can. Malory stops rubbing her head. "No, it's not." "I mean you probably went to school for this." I further explain. She nods. " I did." "And now we're changing everything." Olivia pulls me to the side. "What are you doing?" She asks. "Relax, I got this." I continue my conversation with Malory. "Was it a top school?" I wonder, out loud. " Like the rest of the Wellness Center, you needed to be part of a bloodline. So, you could say it was pretty prestigious." "I don't want to look like the bad guy, what if before we changed anything else we took a gander at a packet or something that contains your core beliefs?" I ask. "There isn't a packet, but I could sign you up for a retreat. It's helpful for anyone interested in becoming a librarian." She says. "Perfect! When is it?" I exclaim. She types on her computer. "There's one coming up this Tuesday." "Sign us up." I shout. "Wait! How long is this?" Olivia asks. "It should only be a few days. Sometimes it lasts longer." "Sign us up." I shout again, louder this time. Malory signs us up. A big smile comes across her face. "I just signed you up. I'm so glad you"re doing this. It will be most helpful." I thank Malory, and start to walk away. "What did you just do?" Olivia asks me. "Signed us up for a retreat." "I know, but you know I'm going to be on vacation soon." "You heard her, it should only take a couple of days." I assure her. "But what if it is longer?" "You could always leave early. Don't worry I'll take copious notes. I won't leave you in the dark." Olivia shakes her head. "Ok, what do we do now?" "Let's waste time with the microfiche."

No comments:

Post a Comment