Followers

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Grand Opening



The big day had arrived. We were going to have a ribbon cutting ceremony for the brand spanking new library. I put up shiny red signs throughout the Wellness Center, alerting any passerby of the joyous occasion. No one showed up. That should not have been a surprise . We were dismayed though. It was hard not to be. We put in so much work. The only person who showed up was Peter. He didn't even realize we were having a grand opening. He just wanted to visit. When he came I was half asleep behind the front desk. He tapped his fingers to wake me. "Where are your colleagues?" He asked. "They went to lunch." "You're not hungry?" "I am, but someone's gotta watch the library. Don't you see how see how busy it is?" Peter laughs. "You should be proud. The place looks good." "Thanks." I say, less than enthusiastic. "You're not proud?" "I am, but look around." "It is a ghost town. But it has always been that way." "Then what do I do?" I ask. "You wait." "What?" "If you build it they will come." He says, echoing the famous line from "Field of Dreams." "There has to be a way to bring more people in." I insist. "I hate to break it to you, but people don't read as much as you think they do. Even up here." "What you saying is that I can't ever expect many patrons?" I question. Peter shakes his head. "You'll get what you need. Stop working so hard." "Easier said than done." I utter. Peter looks me in the eye. "You're doing well. Let the place run on auto pilot. Malory is good, she can take it from here."

No comments:

Post a Comment