Followers

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Reservoir

It's a good day for a walk, a great day for a walk. The sun is out ,but it's not beating down on us. Not yet, not at this early hour. Give it some time I'm sure it will. At the moment though, I'm enjoying walking around the reservoir. It's about a mile around. I see turtles, frogs, and ducks. There is much more natural wildlife that roams around here, but this is all that is awake right now. The speaker owns all of this. Somehow it's an impressive spectacle without being obnoxious. I guess it is because he never brags about it. All he does is let the scenery speak for itself,and it says tranquility and openness. At least that's the image he wants to convey. I'm not going to fight him anymore. He never had to let me in. "Why did you give me the tea?" I ask. "It seemed to me you could use a good night's sleep." "But if I recall you said it would be better if I was sleepy because then you'd be able to control me." "Maybe part of controlling you was giving you tea." He responds. "I guess that makes sense." I say that even though I think quite the opposite in my mind. I let it slide. We walk to edge of a dock that overlooks a family of ducks swimming. The speaker laughs to himself. I look up at him, puzzled. "I forgot to bring the bread." "That's ok, I don't mind just watching them." I reply. We do that for a moment. While we're both looking at the ducks, I'm seeing past them. The speaker notices this. "Something on your mind?" He asks. "I'm torn between two sides of my personality." "And they would be?" I take a deep breath. "The first half is the eternal optimist. He sees the possibilities in everything. He's warm and compassionate. He's everybody's friend. I like that guy." "And the other half?" He asks. "The other half wants to devolve into the lowest possible version of myself. He wants to sleep all day and do nothing." "And you want that?" He questions. "No, but I know I'm capable of that." The speaker puts out his hand. "I'm going to stop you right there. The impression I first received of you was "he's another tortured artist." I smirk to myself. "Don't laugh. I'm right." "Yeah, I guess you are." I say. "I am. My instincts are very rarely ever wrong. But-" The speaker points to his temple. "Everyone has chaos. Everyone." "I don't disagree with you. I don't know, maybe my difference is I don't try to pretend it's not there." "That's good, but you can't let it drown you." He says. "I'll try." "Don't try. Do." I smile. "Ok Yoda." He starts to walk away. "How long is your suspension?" "You know about that?" I ask. " I know about everything. Follow me to my office. I have suggestions for your next step. As much as I enjoy your company, I know you're itching for another adventure."

No comments:

Post a Comment