Followers

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

The Motivational Speaker

"You are being led to a greater and better you! Isn't that great? Isn't that exciting.?" A middle aged man with a head microphone eagerly shouts to the most diverse room full of people. So many different backgrounds. They all hang to his every word. They all cheer and applaud him.Well, not everybody. We took a falcon to an undisclosed area in the middle of nowhere in hopes that we would learn more about their methods.We haven't learned anything new. We've just been listening to the banter of a motivational speaker. He talks extensively about unlocking your full potential and being the best you. Mind you, I don't disagree with what he says , but I didn't need to go on a retreat to hear his "secrets to life." I could have just as easily cracked open a book. I slump in my chair. Olivia glances over at me. "You're not having any fun?" She asks. I don't respond. If I admit my disgruntled state of mind it may hurt her, yet I can't seem to lie either. Instead, my silence says everything. "Oh." She says, disappointed. I straighten up in my seat. "I don't think we need this." I reply. "I don't know, he makes some good points." I shrug. "I guess. How long do you think this will be?" I ask. "Malory said it usually lasts a couple of days." I sigh and sink again. All the sudden the motivational speaker stops talking. Everyone gets out of their chairs. "Looks like a break." Olivia tells me. "Thank God." I utter. Olivia leans over to me. "I don't think this is a good idea, but maybe we can escape now." I excitedly nod. Seeing as how there are so many people standing , and walking in the aisles, an escape should be easy. We don't bother to scan the room. As soon as I have my back turned I hear "You there." I don't have to turn to know who it is. Sure enough, I'm right. It's the motivational speaker. "Where are you going?" He asks. "We needed some air." Olivia responds. The motivational speaker looks me directly in the eye. "I couldn't help but notice during my speech you appeared less than happy." "I'm just tired." I reply. "Well, how about I join you outside? I could use some fresh air myself." He says. I reluctantly agree. Escape may be more tricky than I had anticipated.

No comments:

Post a Comment