Followers

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Early Start

I am shaken awake. I look up to see the librarian hovering above me. All the lights in the hallway are still off. "What time is it?" I ask, groggily. "8 a.m." "What time does the library open?" "9 a.m." "Do you always come in an hour early?" The librarian shakes her head. "No, there was a delivery last night. Your books came in." I stretch out my arms. "All of them?" I ask. "Yes, all of them. Even the comic strip one." The librarian takes the key out of her pocket. She starts to unlock the door, but stops when she notices me staring. "What?" She wonders. "You have a key?" "Yes." "And the delivery guy also has a key?" She turns to me. "Why don't you have a key?" I shrug. "You should get that cleared up." She insists. "I agree, but first I'd like to read a little bit of Calvin and Hobbes. Do you mind if we wait to put the books away?" The librarian thinks for a moment. I can sense my question puts her ill at ease. She is the kind of person who needs to do something right away. "I guess not, although I am here an hour early." She says. "You can always spend that time reading." I suggest. The librarian is perplexed. "There are some good titles in there." I continue. The librarian nods. "Ok, I could do that. Should we get your partner?" She asks. "Olivia? No, I don't want to wake her. Besides, she always finds me." With that the librarian unlocked the door to the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment