Followers

Saturday, September 12, 2015

Diversion

I was completely surrounded. There was no escaping. The Falcons craned their beaks closer. I tried to devise a plan. Perhaps I could grab one of them by their neck and jump on its back. I'm about to make my leap when a falcon on the outside circle lets out a shriek. The falcons draw their attention away from me. I see two birds fighting each other. They go at it, beak to beak. By this point, the falcons dispersed enough that I could see Olivia off in the distance. She fires a round of pink hearts into one of the falcons watching the fight. The falcon joins in, making it two against one. The crowd caws madly. One by one they help their outnumbered friend. No one was looking at me, so I made a run for Olivia. She throws up the force field as soon as I get there. We watch the chaotic fight from the safety of the bubble. "Was that your idea of a diversion?" I ask. "No. I hearted a bird on the outside. I had no idea this would happen." "What do we do now?" "There's not much we can do right now" "What if you continue hearting them?" I ask. "I could do that, but they are moving around so much and I can't tell them apart." "What happens if you double heart them?" "I could undue the previous ones." She says. "I think at this point we have to try it." I tell her. Olivia throws down the shield and fired a string of pink hearts into the crowd. They move so much that it is impossible to determine who is on who's side. "It's useless." Olivia admits. "No, you can't give up." "I have to. I don't know if I'm helping or hindering." "I think you're helping. Just do one more round." I insist. Olivia opens her palm. Before she can fire another round we hear a caw above our heads. The birds immediately stop their fighting. Olivia and I look up to see Penny circling in the sky. "About time." I say. "Better late than never." Olivia replies. The crowd of Falcons glare and shriek at Penny in unison. "At least they're not fighting " I remark. Olivia takes my hand. She throws up the force field once more. "They're not fighting, but I still don't trust them."

No comments:

Post a Comment