Followers

Friday, September 4, 2015

Quake?



Growing up in the Midwest, I didn't have the pleasure of experiencing earthquakes. The only time I knew of one happening in Illinois was a few years back. It occurred at 3 a.m. and the whole house shook for a couple of seconds. That was it , but it was enough to have everyone scratching their heads. It was the top story on the local news the next day. This earthquake is a bit different though. It went on for a few minutes. Granted it's hard to tell time when you are crouched under a table and you're staring at a gross, food covered, linoleum floor. It started with a roaring quake. Then tremors of varying degrees proceeded. Eventually, the tremors died down. However, everyone waited another minute after the last tremor before leaving the safety of their makeshift shelters. "That was something." Peter says, propping himself up. "I've never experienced an earthquake before." Olivia replies. "Me either. I'm still not sure I have." He says. "You don't think that was an earthquake?" I ask. "No, but I'd rather people think it was a natural disaster." "What else could it possibly be?" Olivia asks. "I'm not sure, but I'm doubtful it was an earthquake." Olivia and I glance at each other. "You mind if I believe it was an earthquake?" I ask. "You may believe whatever you like." He informs. I raise my eyebrow. Sometimes I'm not sure how much Peter actually knows. "How is everybody?" Todd shouts. I turn around. Apparently he had just entered the room. "We're shaken." A lunch lady responds. "Yes, we're all a little shaken. Something happened." He says with authority. "Yeah, an earthquake happened." A worker exclaims. Todd condescendingly shakes his head. "No, I don't think it was an earthquake." "You're gonna tell us we didn't live through an earthquake?" The lunch lady questions. "Yes." "And why's that?" She asks. "Because we're not connected to the earth. We have no plates beneath us." "Then what was it!" A voice demands. "I don't know." The room panics. Todd shouts above the fear induced crowd. "I don't know , but I will figure it out. Stay calm. Don't anyone leave this room until I figure it out."

No comments:

Post a Comment