Followers

Sunday, September 6, 2015

The Epicenter



Todd and the inspector took Olivia and myself to the library. I remember there being loud, constant, metallic clanging. It was worse than nails on a chalkboard and a dental cleaning combined. "I determined this to be the epicenter." The inspector yells over the noise. "What made you figure that?" I say to myself. Todd overhears my sny remark. "This is where that thing was that I told you two to get rid of." "Are you accusing us?" Olivia asks. "No one is accusing anyone of anything." Todd assures. "But we do need to know what you did." The inspector says. "Ok, but remember, you told us that you didn't care how we got rid of it." I remind. "Yes, I know. Now, what did you do?" "We threw it in the secret room." I say as a matter of fact. The inspector turns to Todd. "Secret room?" Todd rolls his eyes. "It's a project they wanted to do, but I reminded them they own the library, not the building. Basically it's an unfinished basement." The inspector nods. "Call it whatever you want, but I need to see it."

We lead the inspector to the aisle that contains the secret room. The metallic clanging is louder than ever. "There it is!" Olivia says , pointing to the sealed entrance. Alarmingly the yellow wasn't as bright as it was previously. "How do we get down there?" The inspector asks. "I don't think you want to do that." Todd interjects. "Yeah, that stuff is dangerous." Olivia adds. "I know , I believe that stuff is what's causing the tremors." The inspector replies. "That's possible, but I think the tremors are becoming weaker." I suggest. "Perhaps, but whatever is down there is unstable. We don't know that it won't cause a quake that could tear the building apart. Besides, isn't that noise bothering you?" He questions. "I can deal with the noise." I say. The inspector sighs. "How do I get down there?" "There's a solid green book on the middle shelf. It's sealed pretty good, so I don't know if the door will open." I inform. "Might as well try ." He says. The inspector walks over the trapdoor. Right as he's about to pull the green book, the foundation under his feet begins to disintegrate. He rushes out of the way. Within seconds, the trapdoor, as well as the basement disconnect from the Wellness Center. The four of us pier down into the now gaping hole. All we see beneath us is a blue, cloudy sky. The inspector looks up. "Where'd it go?" He asks, worriedly. "You're the inspector. You should know." Todd shouts. The inspector notices the bookshelf sinking, and the hole slowly widening. The inspector jumps up. "All I know is that this library is condemned until further notice." We run out of the library. We head to the cafeteria to warn the others with the inspector leading the way. In the hallway outside the library, Todd stops Olivia and me. The inspector didn't realize we stopped. He continues running. "Where do you think you're going." Todd asks. "We have to warn the rest." Olivia shouts. "No, you two have to find the Falcons. No one here can fly and we may need a mass exodus." "Where are we going to find the Falcons?" I ask. "I don't know, but we have one left." "Isn't that one still injured?" Olivia asks. Todd points to me. "Can't be injured that badly. It rescued him. Go find that bird's family."

No comments:

Post a Comment