Followers

Saturday, September 5, 2015

Mitch



"I don't trust him!" "He knows more than he's letting on!" "He's up to something!" Phrases I hear uttered by a panic stricken room. I don't necessarily believe them. To me ,Todd is merely trying to be big and take all the glory for himself. I understand everyone 's concerns though. We're left in the dark, so it's easy to blame the one with a position of authority. Some ask how I remain calm and collected during the current crisis. It's easy, we're still feeling tremors. It is difficult to overthink when one is constantly ducking under a table. It is for me at least, but the tremors have not stopped others from mingling. That's how we met Mitch. The three of us were under the table when a man with black hair and a grey jumpsuit crawls up to us. "You guys mind if I join you?" He asks. "I don't mind. Do you mind?" I ask Peter and Olivia. They shake their heads no. "How do you like this tremor ? It's a pretty long one, isn't it." He says. "Indeed." Peter replies. Mitch looks up at Peter. "Hey, you're the guy out front, ain't ya?" "I am." Mitch puts out his hand. "I'm Mitch, the electrician." Peter shakes his hand. "I did all the electrical work here. Looks good, huh?" "It does." Olivia replies. Mitch realized his social faux pas. He puts out his hand for us. "I'm Mitch, the electrician." We smile and shake his hand. Mitch directs his attention back to Peter. "My boy, Bobby says you're a good card player." "I don't play cards." Peter says. "You sure?" "Positive." Mitch shrugs. "Must be confused with someone else." There is a brief silence. "I think the last tremor stopped." Mitch tells us. "Thanks, but I think we'll stay down here." I say. "You mind if I stay as well?" He asks. "That's fine." I respond. "So, you guys know Todd?" "Not well." Olivia admits. "Well, I've never met him myself. What's he like? " "We have a complicated relationship with him. Right now I think we're on good terms though." Olivia explains. "That's good. That means you can tell me what he actually knows." "He doesn't know a thing." I reply. Mitch laughs. "He's not kidding. He doesn't know anything." Olivia says. Mitch continues laughing. "All this time I was worried about the powers that be, but the powers that be are clueless." He says through teary eye'd laughter. Just then we hear a knock on the table. Olivia and I peek our heads out. We see the inspector and Todd standing before us with grim faces. Todd clears his throat. "I need to see both of you, now."

No comments:

Post a Comment