Followers

Monday, August 17, 2015

Diner

We pull into an old fashioned, 50's style diner. The inside has chrome bar stools that still shine, and all the waitresses look as if they were frozen in time or sent from central casting. Almost all of them wear thick, Buddy Holly frame glasses. The three of us pull up bar seats. Rosie and Olivia order coffee. I decline. It's a choice that surprises myself. Caffeine is my vice of choice after all. Could I be turning a new leaf? Or is my is my brain not awake enough to grasp the things that I really, truly want. I am, however the only one who purchases food. I get an apple pie a - la - mode. I figure I'm in a diner in the middle of no where, it would be a crime not to. Upon seeing my desert Rosie sings the chorus to American Pie. Soon the waitresses join in. The unusual moment puts a smile on my face. They conclude with the line "This'll be the day that I die" and everybody in diner, including the grizzled truckers applaud. I take a bite of my pie. It's not terrible, yet nothing to brag about. "How is it?" Rosie asks. "It's good." I reply. I don't want to tell her I've had better. "Yes, this place is wonderful isn't it? I've been coming here for years." A waitress who was wiping the counter at the other end looks up. "Dear, may I ask your name?" She asks. "Rosie." The waitress's face lights up. "Oh my. Do you remember me?" "What was your name?" Rosie asks. The waitress points to a name tag that reads Darla. Rosie laughs to herself. "Oh my goodness. Darla, I haven't seen you in years." She says. "No shit, where have you been?" "Times have been tough, Darla." Rosie says, in a low tone. "I'm sorry to hear that. How's your husband?" She asks. "That's part of the tough times. He passed not too long ago." Rosie replies, nearly choking up. Darla walks around the counter and hugs Rosie. "I'm sorry to hear that. So sorry. He was a good man." Rosie half smiles. "Thank you." "So, who are your friends?" Darla asks. "They're some people I got to help me tie up lose ends, and go through boxes in my house." Darla looks directly at and me and Olivia. "You're doing a good thing." She tells us. Darla hugs Rosie again. "I'll let you three discuss business, but I won't be far away if you need me." Darla walks off. Rosie clears her throat. "Now, to discuss business."

No comments:

Post a Comment