Followers

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Sweet Tea

Call me a wimp, but I can not handle sweet tea. At least not southern sweet tea. I do enjoy a sweetened tea, however when it feels as if my teeth will fall out upon the first sip, I think that is a sign there is too much sugar. I do my best to avoid any grimaces while sipping this drink. When in Rome you do as the Romans do. Even if you are a million miles away from Rome. Last time I checked we were in Main, and Main is not a southern state. It's possible she is from the south, or has southern relatives, or just enjoys sweet tea. I won't try to rationalize this anymore. "What do you think?" Rosie asks. "It's very true to the name." I say. Rosie slaps her knee. "Don't I know it. I go all out. This isn't a drink for sissies." Olivia sets her tea down. "What's a matter you don't like it?" Rosie questions. "Oh no, it's not that. I want to savor it." Olivia replies. Rosie smiles with her eyes. " I hear ya." Rosie sets her drink to the side as well. "So, you two are into canoeing?" "Sort or, we kinda just picked it up." I respond without thinking. Rosie leans back in her chair. "Interesting place to learn." She says. "Why's that?" Olivia asks. "Because, correct me if I'm wrong, but neither one of you lives around here." "That's right, but we were in the area." I explain. "You were in the area?" She repeats. We both nod. "Did you come to see the closed factory? Or did you stop by because you wanted some pancakes from my work?" She questions. "In a way. We wanted to see you." I say, shyly. Rosie relaxes her tense face. "Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to accuse. How did you find me though?" "Your roommate told us." I say. "He told you? He has no idea where I am. Try again." She says , firmly. "We may have found something." I say. "What did you find?" She demands. "It was the deed to your lake house." Olivia chimes in. Rosie turns beat red. "You went through my things?" "Yes, we did." I confess. Rosie points to the door. " I want you out, now." "You have to believe, we had all the best intentions." Olivia assures. "I don't care what your intentions were. I don't like being deceived and I don't like being lied to. Get out of my house, now." I had never seen Rosie so upset. Then again we didn't really know her. We only knew an aspect of her. There was one thing that was painfully clear as we exited the sun room that afternoon, we lost a potential friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment