Followers

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Troubled Waters

It was a somber walk back to the dock. Neither one of us said a word. Betraying a genuinely kind person weighs heavy on my heart. As if the crushing guilt wasn't punishment enough, things soon got worse. We discovered that our canoe had a massive hole in the side. Water was quickly pouring into it. By the time we got there it was almost completely submerged in the lake. "That puts a dent in our plans." I laugh at my own joke. Olivia sneers and then joins in, chuckling with me. "That is kinda funny." I nudge Olivia. " I guess you could say we're waterlogged." She tries not to laugh at my stupid joke this time. "This situation still sucks." She says. "I know. What do you suggest we do?" "Only thing we can do. Call the falcon." I shout up into the sky, giving a loud call to our feathery friend. Normally whenever we call to our falcon we don't have to wait, at least not very long. Today was different. We stood there for a few minuets. I could hear cicadas from miles away, but nothing in the sky. Nothing that would come by and save us. "What is going on?" I ask. "Who knows. We better start walking though." We turned around to start our journey home. At the other end of the dock was Rosie. She was still visibly upset. Her hands were in fists, and her face was flushed. "I wanted to let you go, but I'm still mad." She shouts. "I understand." I reply. "No, you don't. When you two left, when you two were arrested, there was a part of me that was relieved. I didn't have to bring up the past anymore." "We'll walk away now. You won't have to bring up the past anymore." Olivia assures. Rosie shakes her no. "No, you two coming back is my Karma. I have to deal with this even if I don't want to." "We were just snooping. No one is paying us to do this. Nobody wants us to do this." I tell her. " I want you to." She responds. Before we could say anything, we hear a loud squawking. Our falcon swoops down, and takes a seat on the deck between us and Rosie. It drops a letter from its beak. Olivia picks it up and reads it. "We're requested back at the Wellness Center." "The hell you are. You're coming with me." Rosie says. The falcon squawks at her. Rosie gives it the finger. "Fuck off, bird." Rosie pushes her way past the large falcon. "Come on, we have work to do." The falcon
squawks again. Rosie ignores it and drags us off to her cabin.

No comments:

Post a Comment