Followers

Monday, August 3, 2015

Hammer Time

Call me crazy, but I have an inkling I may be able to fine some tools at the reference desk. It's gotta be good for something. Even it is just to amuse myself while my librarian co worker has gives me the deer in the headlights look. Although I may not have to work too hard at that. Malory stares off into space, and she appears white as a ghost. Olivia snaps her fingers in front of Malory's face. Malory shakes herself out of it. "I finished the book." She confesses. "How was it?" I ask. "The butler did it. Why did he do it?" "I don't know. You read it." I tell her. Malory takes a breath. "He wanted to run away with the wife, but she would never leave her husband. How could people be so cruel." She asks me. "It was just a book." I remind her. "Was it?" She says, worriedly. Olivia jumps in. "As much as I'm enjoying this banter, there is a reason why we're here." "Yeah, would you by any chance have a hammer we could borrow?" I ask. "I do. One of the workers left one behind." She reaches into the drawer and pulls out a mallet. "Wait, what workers?" Olivia questions. "It's a long story. I'll tell you later." I say. I take the shield out of my backpack. I then carefully remove it from its plastic back. After that I beat the living hell out of it with a hammer. I hit it with all my might. The hammer clangs against the metallic shield causing echoes in the library. Malory is absolutely mortified, but I continue. At first it doesn't seem like I'm doing any damage. It does not make the slightest dent, and my arm only gets more tired. Just as I'm about to give up, the tiniest piece pops off. I place the hammer down and grin a satisfactory smile. I grab the little chip. "Thanks, this is all I needed."

No comments:

Post a Comment