Followers

Friday, August 21, 2015

Dive

I was once told that if you were to fall from a high altitude it would be better to hit the ground than water. My young mind could not comprehend that fact. I enjoyed swimming in pools, and that never proved harmful. Yet, falling from such a height into water is an almost guaranteed death certificate. Hitting the water at that speed will shatter your bones. I couldn't see a Deus Ex Machina in sight, so I knew I only had one option. I straightened out as best I could, and pointed my toes toward the sea. Luckily I was wearing my Doc Martins. Those boots helped absorb some of the impact. It still hurt like hell, but it wasn't deadly. My boots helped with my dive, but they were a hindrance when it came time to swim. They quickly filled with water. I sunk like a stone. As much as it pained me, I knew what I had to do. I had to remove the shoes. In times of crisis, my sense of survival outweighs my sense of fashion. I took them off and swam to surface. It took me a while to catch my breath, but I was relieved to know that ordeal was over. I was even more relieved to see my Deus Ex Machina. Out of nowhere, Peter flew into view on a falcon. He offered me his hand after landing on the water. "How did you find me?" I ask. "Never mind that. Let's get you out of here."

No comments:

Post a Comment