Followers

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Rosie's Roommate

Even though it's been awhile, I recognize Rosie's flat right away. I see the white paint peeling off the front steps, the numbers to her address hanging on by a thread, and a rip in the screen door. Olivia point a second mailbox out to me. Both are filled. "Who do you think is living here?" She asks. "She did tell us that occasionally she will rent out the top flat to a college student." I go ahead and ring the doorbell, curious to see who her new room mate is. A moment later a tall, very sleepy man with a full beard and a flannel shirt answers the front door. "May I help you ?" He says, barely making eye contact. "Yeah, do you know Rosie?" I ask. "I do." He responds sharply. Olivia and I wait for him to explain himself further. He does not, and I have to take the lead. "May we see her?" I ask, delving deeper. "No." "Why not?" Olivia demands. "Because she's on vacation. You can come in if you want though." Olivia and I stare at each other for a second. We then decide to come in. The interior of the house appeared untouched. Boxes scattered throughout the floor. Possibly in the same exact places as we had left them. "This is going to sound like an odd question, but would you mind if we went through some of the boxes?" I ask. "Knock yourselves out." He says. "You don't mind?" He shakes his head. " I don't see why I would. It's not my stuff." "But didn't Rosie give you any instructions about what you can and can't touch?" Olivia wonders. "She might have. I probably wasn't listening though." I roll my eyes. Olivia opens a random box on the ground. The guy starts to exit the room, then comes back. "Just give you guys a heads up. I have some people coming over for a party in a few hours."

No comments:

Post a Comment