Followers

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Book Order

The librarian sitting behind the front desk is a meek woman. She wears a faded blue dress. Her light brown hair is parted down the middle, and on her face is a pair of crooked glasses. "May I help you?" She asks as we approach. We don't say a word. We just place the document in front of her. She goes over it briefly. "What does this mean?" She asks. "It means we own the library." Olivia says. The librarian turns white. "But what does this mean for me?" "We're not getting rid of anyone. In fact we probably could use you." I assure her. "There will be some changes though." Olivia adds. The librarian nods, nervously. "Of course... such as?" "First of all, you only have three sections." Olivia informs. "Yes, that's all we need." She says. "No, you at least need subsections. For example what if someone wanted to check out Tom Sawyer? Where would that be?" Olivia asks. "Is that literature?" She asks. Olivia squints. "Are you kidding me? Of course it's literature." Olivia replies. The librarian shakes her head. "We don't carry literature." "Why not?" I ask. "Because we like to keep everyone grounded in reality." "That is the stupidest thing I ever heard. You're a library." Olivia exclaims. The librarian slides a notepad to Olivia. "We can order it, just write it down." Olivia writes down Tom Sawyer on the notepad. "While we're at it, do you have any of the Calvin and Hobbes books?" She asks. "Who?" Olivia buries her face in her hands. "It's the adventures of a six year old boy with an unusually large vocabulary and his best friend who is a tiger." I explain. The librarian nervously laughs. "Is that also literature?" "No, it's a comic strip." Olivia jumps in. "Oh dear, we definitely don't have something like that." "I'm gonna write a list of books you should have. Is there any way you could rush deliver Calvin and Hobbes because we were specifically looking for that?" Olivia asks. The librarian sighs. "Ok." She types away on her computer. "I'm seeing a list of Calvin and Hobbes books. Any in particular I should get?" "There's Treasure Everywhere is good... I don't know, maybe start with the anthology?" I say. The librarian continues typing. "I just point in the order. So you know, even with rush delivery it may still take a week." Olivia slides the the notepad with books suggestions to her. "We're patient. " We start to walk away. "You want to look around more?" Olivia asks me. "No, not right now." "Me either. What do you want to do?" I shrug. "Wanna bother Peter for a while?"

No comments:

Post a Comment