Followers

Monday, June 1, 2015

Vacant Park

We're at the park from the other day. This time it is virtually deserted. No one is in sight. We stare at the vacant bench. Deep down we know our pensive looking won't do much good. At the moment it is the only thing we can think of. It is as if we stay here long enough they will come by. "Why did we think they'd be here?" Olivia asks. "Because it made sense at the time." Olivia plops down on the bench. "What do you suggest." "I don't know." I say. "We have to do something." I sit down beside her. "That we do." Olivia looks down the way to the high school. "There aren't any kids around. Do you think they are out for summer?" She asks. I shrug. "It's possible." Olivia taps her foot. " I don't like this." She says. "We'll figure it out." I insist. Olivia glances down the way again. Her eyes light up this time. "Silver lining!" she shouts. "What?" "There is a girl coming this way." Olivia leaps up. We stand attentively for a moment, waiting for the girl to come this way. The girl notices us right away. She stops feet before reaching us. She stands there, meek and timid. She is unsure whether to turn around or run past us. As a result her fear traps her in place. She appears to be about a year younger than the teenage couple. She has red pigtails , and holds her binder tightly. So tight that her knuckles are white. "We mean no harm." Olivia assures her. "We just need your help." I jump in. "I don't know anything." She says, shakily. "There was a couple that was here recently." Olivia says. The girl eases her grip on her binder. "You mean Stacy and Ben?" She asks. "You know them?" Olivia asks. The girl half nods. "I know of them. They are always around, together." "Do they come here often?" Olivia asks. The girl starts to back up. "Why do you want to know?" "We're probation officers." I tell her. "You're probation officers? Dressed like that?" "It's a new thing we're trying out. Helps gain trust." I say. "This doesn't feel right." She says. "Of course it doesn't. We're authority figures." I quip. "We don't mean them harm either." Olivia insists. "How can I trust you?" The girl asks. "You can come with us." Olivia says. The girl shakes her head. "Oh no, I'm not coming with you." "Look, there are some bad people that could be after them. We want to make sure they are safe." I explain. "How do I know you're not the bad people?" She asks. "If we were, do you think we'd be trying to peacefully get information out of you?" I ask. The girl completely relaxes her grip on the binder. "You have a point." She says. "So, where can we find them?" I ask. The girl points to the East. "Follow the bike path all the way down. There will be a little street at the end. Her house is the first one on the right." "What about him?" Olivia asks. " I don't know, but my guess is they'll be together."

No comments:

Post a Comment