Followers

Thursday, June 25, 2015

The Most Patient Man



Peter must have the most boring job in the universe. Half the time he stares out into the infinite white abyss. Occasionally he'll have an almanac or a big book of names by his side. He usually chooses not to read. He simply folds his hands and stares out into the puffy sky. I know he is anticipating new arrivals, but hardly anyone ever shows up. There is nothing on the horizon. It is beyond me how he can be so patient. I don't get it. I do know one thing though. As patient as he is, he is bound to get lonely. That's why we're paying him a visit. We tip toe, trying our best to creep up on him. Literally seconds before I'm about to shout "boo!" and scare him senseless, he turns around."where you expecting us?" I ask. Peter turns his eyes forward. "I should have. It would be in your character to stop by." He replies. I take a seat on the side of the desk. Peter shoos me off. "Is there anything I can help you with?" He asks. "We wanted to keep you company." Olivia says. "Lucky me." He says, sarcastically. I pat him on the back. "That's right. Anyone would kill for our company, but you get to hang with us for free." "Shouldn't you two be at the library?" "We own it. It doesn't mean we have to be there all the time." Olivia responds. Peter rolls his eyes. "You may join me if you wish, but please be silent." "You won't hear a peep from us." Olivia assures. The three of us stare out into the blank canvas for what feels like eons. "How long has it been?" I ask. Peter pulls out a pocket watch. "Thirty seconds." "You do this all day?" I gasp. "That I do." "What about the Falcons? Don't you tend to them?" Olivia wonders. "They are self sufficient, so I don't need to journey to the stables often." "This is what you'll be doing all day then?" Olivia asks. Peter nods. Olivia and I start to walk away. Perhaps pestering a quiet, old man was not in our cards . Peter glances at his pocket watch again. "Normally I wait another half hour for lunch, but we can go to the cafeteria."

No comments:

Post a Comment