Followers

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Explain, Please

Part of me wonders if I'm lowering the property value just by being here. There are antiques galore and the carpet is a snow white. It takes a lot of confidence to have a white, either that or it belongs to boring people who don't do much. At any rate I should probably take off my sneakers. They are caked in mud. I don't usually tie and untie my shoes. Nine times out of ten, I simply slip them on and off. Since I already tracked mud in the house, I thought I'd go the extra mile and untie them. The problem was that my laces were horribly knotted. Try as I may, I could not untangle them. The mother witnessed the whole thing. "Don't move. I'll be right back." The mother walks off. She comes back a moment later with a towel and throws it by my feet. "Put your feet on that." She tells me. I comply and she sits down on a fluffy white couch beside Stacy and Ben. The mother crosser her legs, and folds her hands. "Begin." She says to us. Olivia and I look at each other. "Well." The mother says, impatiently. "What's there to say. They're freaks." Ben blurts. The mother turns her head to Ben. "What makes them freaks?" The mother asks. "Look at them. Look at how they dress." Ben says. The mother examines our costumes closely. " It is a bit strange." She replies. "And did Stacy tell you what they tried to do?" The mother's head jerks to Ben. "What did they try to do?" She asks. Ben smiles smugly. "They tried to sell us drugs." The mother clenches her fist. "Stacy, is this true?" "It's a bit more complicated than that." I try to explain. "I'll tell you when you can talk." The mother snaps. "Now, Stacy, is this true?" She asks in a calmer tone. Stacy takes a deep breath. "There is some truth to that." She replies. "Some truth? What does that mean?" The mother asks. "I don't think they had anything, or even if they wanted to sell anything." Stacy says. The mother shakes her head. "No, I still don't like this." The mother gives us the evil eye. "You two are in very big trouble." "But-" Before I have the chance to explain myself we hear the front door swing open. The mother's eyes light up. "Oh good. My husband, the lawyer is here."

No comments:

Post a Comment