Followers

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Where There's a Window There's a Way

Some time had passed before we realized Chad would not be coming back, and that an escape was in order. We searched the basement for a window, or a trap door, or something. There were windows, but they were very high up. We couldn't reach them on our own. We needed something to stand on. The first thing that came to mind was the pool table. Try as we may, we could not get the table to budge. The only other thing we could find were two paint cans. I stacked them, one on top of the other. It was nerve racking , climbing on top of those paint cans. I thought for sure they would slide out from under me and I would fall on to the hard concrete floor, but I was able to unhook the latch to the window. Right as I'm pulling my self through the window, both the paint cans crash, making a loud boom. I dangle for a moment from the window sill, wondering if the crash was loud enough to catch the attention of Chad, or any one else for that matter. Olivia keeps an ear out. When she felt it was ready, she gave me the go ahead. I pulled myself through the window. It was a narrow opening, but my need for survival outweighed any fears of tight spaces. I arrived in a deep window well filled will rocks. "Don't worry about me. I can fend anyone off." Olivia shouts from the basement. I know she is right, but I still can't leave her high and dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment